Our Packing Tips
We want your belongings to arrive safe and sound to their final destination, and packing boxes correctly ensures an easier transition.
Here are some tips that will help you pack your belongings in the safest, most effective manner possible.
Gather all of your packing materials beforehand so you’re not left without supplies in the middle of packing.Read More
Collegiate Movers has everything you need to successfully pack your boxes including tape, packing paper, and boxes of various sizes.
Pack valuable electronic equipment in original cartons when available. Otherwise, use strong corrugated boxes and place protective padding on the bottom of the carton. Place additional padding between the carton and the device.
Wrap cords separately and label them to identify usage. Place them in a plastic bag away from delicate surfaces. Non-detachable cords should also be wrapped.
Ready to Get Moving?
- Mark all boxes by room, contents, and if contents are fragile
- Heavier items should be placed at the bottom of the box
- Try to keep boxes to a max of 50lbs
- Delicate glassware and stemware should be wrapped and placed in an upright position
- Do NOT overload bureau drawers and be sure to remove all ammunition and firearms
- Pack no more than 24-30 canned goods per box
- Secure or remove pendulum in large clocks
- Hang drapes and bedding over crossbars, in wardrobe cartons, or pack folded in clean cartons
- Remove bulbs, harps, shades, and roll-up cords from lamps and pack with bedding or wrap separately and place upright in a tissue-lined carton
- Seal medicine caps with masking tape and be sure to transport the medicine you need with you
- Wrap small mirror, pictures, paintings, and frames and place on edge in boxes
- Place large pictures and paintings on edge in heavy cardboard containers
- Wrap silverware in cloth to prevent tarnishing
- Drain fuel from power tools and pack
- Wrap grates and briquettes separately in newspaper and place parts in a box
We Do Not Take:
- Aerosol Cans
- Small Plants
- Open-Topped Boxes
- Propane Tanks
- Frozen or Perishable Items
- Unpacked Electronics Items
We are licensed and insured movers. The standard insurance that comes with a move is 60 cents per pound for each item. This insurance is worked into the basic rate, so there is no additional charge this basic insurance. We offer full coverage – Call for more details.
Items that are not covered in the policy include:
- Any item made of particle board
- Any weakened or previously repaired furniture
- Cracked of chipped veneer
- Floor lamps
- Flat Screen Televisions
- Any items in boxes packed by owner unless we are clearly at fault (example: a dropped box)
All damages or losses must be reported within 7 days of delivery.
“Honest and reliable, they did what they promised to do which is more than I can say for another company we used. Adrian was courteous and very helpful. Prices were very reasonable. I will highly recommend. They came through when I really needed them.”-Geri S. via BBB
“Simply…. Awesome…..They Are That Good..!”-Marty Akerson
“I would just like to say a big THANKS to Collegiate Movers for helping me to get moved. The guys were professional, courteous and I felt like they treated my things as they would have treated their own. I just can’t say enough good things about them. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”-Phyllis Williams
“They moved us from Blacksburg to Richmond and did all the packing. They were professional, courteous, and friendly. They were extremely efficient and it was a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend them to everyone. Many thanks to all the guys for their hard work on this move.”-Don Drew